VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION – All group tours depart from Bus Stand ZE, Waterloo Place, Edinburgh, EH1 3BQ (opposite Howie’s Restaurant).
Sustainable Tourism in Scotland
Scotland is renowned for its outstanding natural beauty, iconic landscapes and breathtaking wilderness. We are proud of our country and want to help preserve its natural environment and local cultures for future generations to enjoy.
Right from the start back in 2001, we have always had a strong commitment to sustainable and environmentally friendly tourism. We make great efforts to minimise the environmental impact of our operations whilst supporting the communities we visit in our famous Wee Red Buses:
- All the Wee Red Buses are modern fuel-efficient vehicles to minimise their environmental impact with a Euro 6 compliant engine.
- All the Wee Red Buses carry around 12 passengers to ensure our groups leave a ‘light footprint’ on the environment and communities we visit.
- We have one centrally located departure point to avoid contributing to city centre congestion and pollution levels. There is easy access to all forms of public transport.
- We use locally owned and run accommodation on our extended tours, in doing so we support local employment and communities.
- We do not take commission from our accommodation providers.
- We encourage our passengers to support local shops, restaurants and businesses.
- We are passionate about keeping Scotland clean and tidy. We carry recycled bags on our buses and have a zero litter policy.
- We operate a ‘leave-no-trace’ policy for both our guides and passengers and adhere to the Scottish Outdoor Access Code.
- We provide Eco-driving training to improve fuel efficiency and reduce our carbon footprint.
John Muir Trust
We are proud to support the John Muir Trust. The Trust is a Scottish conservation charity dedicated to protecting and developing wild land. They own and care for some of Europe’s finest wild landscapes including several we visit on our tours, Ben Nevis, Schiehallion and Quinag mountains and part of the Cuillin on the Isle of Skye. We encourage passengers to donate and/or join the Trust in addition to our own annual donation, fund raising and staff volunteering days.
Green Tourism Business Scheme
We have been awarded Bronze on the Green Tourism Business Scheme for our commitment to the environment. The scheme is the largest and most established sustainable certification programme in the world. In choosing a green certification business, you are choosing a business which is positively working towards being sustainable, one which is accountable and genuine in its approach. This means minimising energy waste and water resources used as well as celebrating positive aspects of our culture and ecology.
We have joined the Ecostars sustainable transport scheme obtaining a 3 star certificate. Ecostars is a European-wide voluntary scheme to provide recognition and guidance on environmental best practice to operators of goods vehicles, buses and coaches. The scheme recognises operational and environmental performance and aims to reduce the energy used by all types of transport fleets by encouraging more efficient operations in reducing fuel costs and emissions.